Grizzly Berry Salad and Panko Maple Rainbow Trout — Gluten Free!
Fact: Grizzly bears are omnivores, and their diet can vary widely. They may eat seeds, berries, roots, grasses, fungi, deer, elk, fish, dead animals and insects. Sounds pretty good!
Blueberries, Raspberries, Black berries, whatever you find.
Greens of choice (spring mix in this case)
Goat cheese, soft
Extra virgin olive oil, cold pressed
Mixed berry puree
Maple Syrup (not corn syrup with colour and flavour)
- Pre heat oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Lightly grease a baking pan or sheet.
- Put the fillets on the sheet.
- Evenly spread some breadcrumbs on top of the fish, just thick enough to see some fish through the crumbs. I used gluten free breadcrumbs as a proof of concept, but would recommend some kind of Japanese style breadcrumbs if free of celiac disease.
- Evenly drizzle maple syrup back and forth across the fish.
- Repeat process as desired; just consider that syrup is condensed sugar water and has a high glycemic index.
- Place the fish in the oven and check on it periodically to see if it is done (should probably take between 20-30 minutes, depending on size of the oven, temperature regulation, size of the fish, temperature of the fish when you began cooking etc.)
- In the meantime, prepare the vinaigrette salad dressing by gathering a measuring cup, a fork/whisk to stir, and the ingredients for the dressing. Making a base for vinaigrette dressing is fairly simple; just pour equal amounts of some type oil and some type of vinegar into a measuring cup, and add additional ingredients that will make it into a unique mixture.
- You’ll want to add ingredients in proportion to how much base you have (oil and vinegar). For instance, if you have 100ml of oil, 100ml of vinegar, then you may want to use about 100- 150 ml of dry and/or wet ingredients combined, depending what those ingredients are, and on the desired outcome. Remember always start low and slowly add, you can’t undue certain mistakes.
- For this vinaigrette, I used about 75ml each, oil and vinegar, with an additional 75ml of berry puree, 2tbsp. (30ml) of garlic paste, 1tbsp. of basil paste, 1-2 tsp. (5-10ml) of ground sumac, diluted with a splash of water to the desired consistency
- Prepare produce, wash greens and berries. Fill a plate with greens, a generous serving of berries. Top with goat cheese and hemp seeds (about 2-3tbsp.). Drizzle vinaigrette over the salad.
- Check on fish for doneness. If the fish is cooked through, consider whether the bread crumb/syrup topping is crispy/caramelized (ideal for taste and texture etc.) If so, remember the cooking parameters, because you’ll probably want to use them again, or adjust accordingly for next time.
- If the fish if done, but the topping is not crisp, you could try putting the oven on broil (heat from above) and carefully watching the topping, as it turns brown rather quickly.
- When fish is done, top your plate of salad.
- Take a look at your meal fit for royalty. Give thanks and be glad for another day and the nutritious meal provided. Enjoy!
Fact: This plate of food will be sure to make you regular!